专栏名称: 可可英语
可可英语创办于2005年,致力于打造集实用性,互动性,娱乐性为一体的专业免费英语学习平台。官方网站:http:/www.kekenet.com
分享
今天看啥  ›  专栏  ›  可可英语

经典文学《简·爱》

可可英语  · 公众号  · 英语  · 2020-02-14 18:38

【新朋友】点击标题下面蓝字可可英语加关注

【老朋友】点击手机右上角图标转发分享内容

"What, you have got up!" she said. "You are better, then. You may sit you down in my chair on the hearthstone, if you will."
“什么,你已经起来了?”她说,“那么你好些了。要是你愿意,你可以坐在炉边我的椅子上。”
She pointed to the rocking-chair: I took it.
她指了指那把摇椅。我坐了下来。
She bustled about, examining me every now and then with the corner of her eye.
她忙碌着,不时从眼角瞟我。
Turning to me, as she took some loaves from the oven,
她一边从烤炉里取出面包,
she asked bluntly, "Did you ever go a-begging afore you came here?"
一面转向我生硬地问道:“你到这个地方来之前也讨过饭吗?”
I was indignant for a moment; but remembering that anger was out of the question,
我一时很生气,但想起发火是不行的,
and that I had indeed appeared as a beggar to her, I answered quietly, but still not without a certain marked firmness
何况在她看来我曾像个乞丐,于是便平心静气地回答了她,不过仍带着明显的强硬口气,


"You are mistaken in supposing me a beggar. I am no beggar; any more than yourself or your young ladies."
“你错把我当成乞丐了,跟你自己或者你的小姐们一样,我不是什么乞丐。”
After a pause she said, "I dunnut understand that: you've like no house, nor no brass, I guess?"
她顿了一下后说:“那我就不大明白了,你象是既没有房子,也没有铜子儿?”
"The want of house or brass (by which I suppose you mean money) does not make a beggar in your sense of the word."
“没有房子或铜子儿(我猜你指的是钱)并不就成了你说的那个意思上的乞丐。”
"Are you book-learned?" she inquired presently. "Yes, very."
“你读过书吗?”她立刻问。“是的,读过不少书。”
"But you've never been to a boarding-school?"
“不过你从来没有进过寄宿学校吧?”
"I was at a boarding-school eight years."
“我在寄宿学校呆了八年。”


今天看啥 -
本文地址:http://www.jintiankansha.me/t/iITnpnuugD